As a Realtor, and an Investor here in the Tucson area with over 23 years experience, I am often asked questions about selling home that needs repairs here in Tucson. In the years that I have bought, sold, and represented clients here in the Tucson area, I have learned a few tips and tricks along the way!
In today’s post, I would like to answer the four most common questions people ask me when asking about selling home that needs repairs in the Tucson area. I think you will agree that these questions are logical, and necessary to ask yourself when trying to decide what to do when selling a home in poor condition.
Let’s dive in!
How Do You Sell A House That Needs Repairs?
So to begin with, it is important to discern what sort of repairs need to be made. Cosmetic repairs (paint, minor touchup repairs) are vastly different than “Financing” repairs.
You see, the key to remember is that if your home has problems that make it difficult to finance the sale of your home, your pool of potential buyers is far less.
So first, determine what type of repairs need to be done. If it is repairs that involve the roof, or air conditioning or heating that doesn’t work, then that will affect the buyer’s ability to get financing on the property. If they can’t get the full amount you want for the property due to the necessity for repairs, then it will affect you, and your bottom line.
The best way to ensure that you make the most money on your home sale is to ensure that you keep up with regular maintenance on your home. Most homes that I have dealt with over the years didn’t get to be in their state of disrepair overnight. It usually takes years.
A stitch in time.. will definitely save nine! Repaint, clean the carpets, remove debris, and make minor repairs as necessary. You will be able to sell it regardless of the level of repair it needs, you just want to make as much money as possible when you DO sell, so make the repairs as you can!
Can I Sell My House Without Making Repairs?
Absolutely. Regardless of your property’s current condition, you are able to find someone who will be willing to buy it and put the money into it to repair it.
Ultimately, the question will be “Can you accept the offer that someone will pay you?”
While it is true, you have the ownership of the property, and the ultimate say as to how much you will sell your home for; there are some objective realities.
- The property is only worth what the end use buyer is willing to pay for it.
- The property must need some level of repair.
- If the property needs a lot of repair, it may be unfinanceable.
- If it is unfinanceable, only a cash buyer or a person with private funds can buy it.
- Cash Buyers and Investors who buy fixup properties want discounts for their labor and profit.
- Rehabilitation costs and labor are more expensive than ever
- There is only so much profit to go around.
Ultimately, this is why it is important to keep up on the everyday maintenance. Small missteps can add up quickly in damage, needed repairs, and cost!
Is It Worth Fixing Up House To Sell?
As difficult as this may sound, taking a truly dispassionate approach towards selling a home that needs repair in Tucson is the best policy. When emotions get wrapped up in a house, dollar bills usually fly out the window!
I can’t tell you how many times I have seen Tucsonan’s put a “dollars worth of work in, only to get a nickel out.” People lose money SO FAST in today’s market that they don’t even consider it.
Let’s think for a moment, you have probably seen one or two in your neighborhood. Think about that one guy who rehabbed a house in your neighborhood, and then tried to sell it for an outlandish price… and didn’t get it.
This time.. is just like that time.
Sometimes, it’s better to just cut and run. Save your time, the headache, and the aggravation and get a fast cash offer for an unwanted property.
Many times, we have the best intention of doing repairs, but the time, the costs, and the extra work found makes it less attractive.
What Home Improvements Should Be Done Before Selling?
Should you decide selling home that needs repairs is a good idea after you repair it, then you definitely want to be careful about how you repair it, and where you spend your money!
The very best things you can do to fix up your house without a lot of money in Tucson is to focus on the basics.
- Make sure the yards, bushes, and trees are trimmed, and neat! Nothing expresses attention to detail more than a good first impression. When buyers come to your property, making sure debris, trash, and the yard is kept up will go a long way to ensure you get a good offer.
- Paint or Clean the Walls. A fresh coat of paint, or cleaning dirty walls will go a long way to remove latent smells, and brighten a room. It won’t cost much, but it will definitely add value!
- Upgrade the lighting! I always put in “higher than average wattage bulbs” in the house when I am trying to sell it. Not only does it brighten the room, but it will give the appearance that the room is bigger! Try it!
- A Kitchen Facelift: Don’t get mixed up! I’m not talking about spending money! I’m talking about cleaning up that kitchen! Remove all the items from the countertops and stow them below the counters. Get rid of all the items on the refrigerator door. Eliminate all personal items, and put in neutral “staging” pieces (plants, flowers, pictures, etc) You don’t have to spend thousands, just clean it up and declutter it!
- Clean the Floors: You can rent a carpet cleaner at your local supermarket very inexpensively. And in just a couple hours, you can revitalize tired carpets, and make them smell 200% better. If you spend an extra $25, you can get the hand attachment and do the furniture, the stairs, and even your car while you are at it!
Sell “As Is”
It doesn’t have to be complicated. When you are selling home that needs repairs in Tucson, you can even just sell it as is, where is. That’s where I come in!
As a licensed Real Estate Broker and Investor, Karl Buys Houses is a real estate company licensed by the State of Arizona to help homeowners just like you with your problem properties!
Why risk going to a fly by night, unlicensed investor with your problem property? Give me a call, I’ve got years of experience dealing with unwanted, problem properties here in the Tucson area!
Call Or Text Me Directly at (520) 403-6227 or use the form below!